Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Holy High Point

Twice per year, a little town in North Carolina throws the biggest trade show in our industry.  For years I have said that I would go and check it out, and for years, I have not.  Fortunately, the stars aligned this time, and I actually made it there (sans kids/husband - a dream come true).  And, thank heavens I did, because it was quite a show... 

I have been struggling all day with trying to come up with a way to describe the event.  Apparently I had hit it on a very good year - While walking through the Hickory Chair showroom, Alexa Hampton said to me, "Feels like it did in 2008".  Obviously I acted like I knew what that meant, but unless it wasn't great parties, incredible hospitality, and fresh innovative products, then I'm sure we must have been on the same page.  Even though I have been to a number of other industry shows throughout my career, I really was in shock-and-awe after seeing showroom after showroom of great new finds, and more importantly, people LOVING the great new finds.

Many of my cohorts (from http://www.spacetograce.blogspot.com/2012/04/to-all-my-homies.html) were also at the show and are now out there blogging about their favorite finds.  And if you read them, you will see a consensus on the favorites.  For me, some pieces and/or their manufacturers are obvious, have been talked about, and don't need another introduction.  I like to root for the underdog, the ones who need to become the favorites, the never-been-heard-of-befores (remember Gonzaga in March Madness in 1998?!).  So here they are (please disregard the quality of the photos - I did say earlier that we had been to great parties :)


This was the last showroom that I was in but the first that I'm willing to write about - Tucked in the back corner on the 2nd floor of Halo Styles (which I overall love) was Starbay (www.starbay.net), a beautiful line of campaign style furniture that would suit any beach house, boys room, or yachty-type affair.  If you like the look of Grange or Authentic Models, this line has a lot to offer.


This light fixture was quite a surprise (found at Ro-Sham-Beaux).  I actually walked into the showroom to look at the Currey & Company look-alikes (again another that I already love) when a colleague (@savvyscav) pointed this incredible fixture out - woven gilded hemp - gorgeous.  www.ro-sham-beaux.com


OK, we all love Emissary, and I've blogged about/used them in the past.  I still love them, but something about the finish on these Hampton Row (www.hamptomrow.com) garden stools was just a little less mainstream.  Green, obviously, was my favorite!



If you have (or ever wanted to have) a Cartier LOVE bracelet, here is the biggest play out there - incredible exposed screw detail by Theodore Alexander (www.theordorealexander.com) - I really am in LOVE.

I absolutely loved this chair from Julie Browning Bova for Stanford Furniture (www.stanfordfurniture.com).  She took a classic wingback, exposed the arm in the most feminine way, and added a pleated skirt.  It reminds me of my favorite Baker chair, but in a more ladylike way...


Port 68 (www.port68.com) had the sweetest little stools out there - perfect proportions with a barley twist leg and preppy little geometric seat.  They also were chock full of great candlesticks and lamps.  Defintely a favorite "filler" find!


And last but not least, the Worlds Away (www.worlds-away.com) Pagoda lamps - painted metal in any color - only question is what color and how many???!

PS -

For those of you on Twitter, I have some other favorites that I have posted as a self-proclaimed, unofficial "Style-Spotter".  Feel free to check them out @elizabethhome under #HPmkt.

No comments:

Post a Comment