Thursday, April 26, 2012

Color bias

Have you ever opened an issue of House Beautiful simply to see what their favored designers' favored colors are?  I do, every month.  And every month, I am so surprised by just how many different paint manufacturers are out there, and equally by just how many paint colors there are to choose from. 

In the beginning, I tried to keep up - accumulating paint decks from not only Benjamin Moore but Farrow & Ball, C2, Stark, Kaufman, Pratt & Lambert, Sherwin Williams, and a handful of lines that no one has ever heard of.  Obviously premium paints are better than the likes of what you can find at Home Depot or Lowes, but just by being called premium doesn't make them all the same.  Some palettes are more sophisticated than others with restrained pigments, visual effects, or that perfect sheen, but what I've come to realize is that after all of these years, is that it's not worth the trial and error to find it.

I have to say that consistently year-after-year I am a die-hard Ben Moore client.  Even if they don't have exactly what I'm looking for, they let me make it my own and give me exactly what I need for the project.  No, I'm not saying that I never use the other brands; I'm just owning up to the fact that I have a favorite.  I know their decks almost as well as I know the lines on my forehead, and, coming from a woman who just turned 40.5, let's just call it valid...

Here are my top 10 can't-go-wrong favorites:

Squire Hill Buff (1068)



Soft Fern (2144-40)



Wickham Gray (HC-171)



Corinthian White (162)



Tender Pink (2090-50)



Lily White (2128-70)



White Sand (OC-10)



Touch of Gray (2116-60)



Natural Elements (1515)



Light Pewter (1464)



Happy painting!

2 comments:

  1. Great Ben Moore color picks! I'd add to that Pink Mix, Revere Pewter, Going to the Chapel, Stingray and Lancaster Whitewash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read your blog in awhile so am catching up..my living room is touch of gray. Love the color and the grateful dead connection lol. Alex

    ReplyDelete