Friday, September 23, 2011

Everyone makes mistakes

Yesterday I got a bad haircut.  It's beyond bad.  It's too dark, it's too short, and it makes me look as if I am really turning 40 in a few weeks.  It's my fault - I went to the salon and left my fate in their hands - something you shouldn't do just weeks before you're turning 40.  You know how the conversation goes, they ask, "What do you want to do with your hair today", and I respond "Oh, just do what you think it needs.  I could use a style."  Big mistake.  I've already washed it 6 times hoping it will make a difference...

Unfortunately this haircut is not just a bad haircut, it's a reminder of another error I made awhile back.  A couple of years ago I ordered a Stark carpet two feet too short for the space; rather then ordering a 12x22, I ordered a 12x20 (even though my notes clearly showed that the measurement was 12x22).  It was my fault, a dumb mistake that I'm still kicking myself for.  Yes, designers somtimes make dumb mistakes.  When the carpet was installed, it was so obvious that it was too small, it looked like a someone cut their bangs too short.  Without even trying cover up the blooper, I took ownership of it.  I ordered a new one in the correct size, ate the bill, and have been storing the 12x20 ever since (not to mention, took out a great E&O insurance policy the next week).

I may be shooting myself in the foot by letting you all know that sometimes things do go wrong during an installation, but I'm actually telling you this to start a conversation about making sure that you know what you're getting into when you sign on with a designer.  Relationships between designers and clients are multifaceted.  They are professional.  They are personal.  And, they are completely individual.  Make sure that you find a designer who you can trust, someone who you actually get along with.  Afterall, you are hiring them to make some of your toughest decisions with regard to how your space looks and how you will ultimately live in that space.  But also make sure that whoever you're hiring is a professional, someone who is not only recognized in the industry, but gives you a contract to sign, and has insurance. 

Now getting back to my dilemma of too short to look good, and how I plan to handle the problem - I have a few headbands to tie me over while my hair grows back, but I don't have a fix for my carpet.  You see, part of my predicament lies with a personal promise that keeps me from repeating designs that were custom to past client projects.  I think that this ties in with building trust between the designer and the client, and knowing that a designer is hired to create a truly custom concept for the client, an individual product.  So, if anyone wants to take a just-barely-used Stark Chesamar 100% wool carpet off my hands, drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment